Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Serving and Being Served

We are on day 3 post Mission Sunday. Three days ago we had speakers share about different missions they are involved with in the community, and we had a variety of organizations come and host tables to share how God is working through them. It was a time to get involved! It didn't matter how, or where, or for how long. At VPC we have missions that are local, national, and international. We host, and partner with, missions that help the hungry, the homeless, those shut in their homes, the elderly, the children, the children in foster care, the urban community, the migrant, children in multiple parts of Africa, and so much more. If you are interested in getting involved with missions, VPC knows one with whom you can connect. We are a church that believes Church isn't confined to the walls of our sanctuary but that we are here for a larger purpose - to continue Christ's work in the world.

And if you do mission work, you will probably agree that, most of the time, you get more out of it than the person you are serving. I know I do. I remember once I was in college and in Philadelphia on a mission trip. We were in a particularly rough area, and it was eye-opening for this suburbia girl! We hosted a VBS, cleaned up trash (mainly empty heroin bags) at the local park, and much more. One day we were doing a street cleanup in a neighborhood and the leader of the group called me over to meet a guy. He was homeless and a friend of the neighborhood and of the mission. He also had one leg. Literally, and his other leg was a wooden peg. We had been talking for about five minutes when I heard loud pops. All at once this man pushed me on the ground and laid over me. The pops were bullets. We were in a drive by shooting. Suddenly the noise stopped, the car sped away and the man helped me up. My friend Melissa was next to me and she burst into tears. Not really knowing what I should do, I joined in. Then I sobbed and sobbed. And actually it wasn't for myself. I just couldn't believe that this neighborhood, these children, these elderly friends experienced these shootings on a regular basis.  There was no hesitation, no panic; everyone just hit the ground until it was over. This was normal life. I in no way felt normal. And candidly, I don't think I ever did again.

On that hot day in Philadelphia, I experienced holiness. An outcast to the world shielded me, a stranger, from danger. He laid down his life for a friend. Sound familiar? I'm pretty sure that's what Jesus meant when he said "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends" John 15:13... and that man taught me, we are all friends.

I went to Philly to serve those in need, and I was blessed with an experience that changed the course of my life. No longer could I ignore the terrors of the world, the cities, and the neighborhoods right around me. Life became bigger and my relationship with God became so much better.

Friends, when we engage in mission, our problems don't go away. In fact we may have more. However, the perspective with which we see the world changes. We spend our time more meaningfully and we enjoy the things of life that really matter. It's not always easy, but it's always rewarding. I encourage you to join us in this journey.

May God bless you and all whom you love,

Rev. Michelle